Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Breakfast of Champions

I'm trying out the Blogspot app on my phone so bear with me if things look funny.
Here's what my chicken's typical breakfast looks like. Scraps from the house. My two older girls who I've kept around for sentimental reasons (Dolly the Easter Egger and Missy the Cuckoo Maran) and the rooster (Rocky the mutt roo who walks like he's punching at people due to a bum leg) are free-range. I don't feed them at all save for the kitchen scraps. They survive on buggies and wormies and any grain that gets spilt around the barn.
My younger pullets (female chickens that haven't started laying eggs yet) and the rooster that accidentally got put in that batch of chicks are fed chick starter since they're penned up in the chicken coop until I can get a chicken door cut out of one of the walls. They're actually plenty big enough to go outside and I outta start letting them out to range, but I just don't have the energy at the end of the day to chase them back in at night and I can't just leave the door open to the coop or else the goats just go in and eat all the chick feed and lay around and poop in the coop.
Once the chicks are about 18 weeks old, I switch them over to a layer ration. Chickens start laying eggs at around 20 weeks old depending on the breed, and of course each chick starts laying when she's good and ready (don't we all). By switching them over to a laying ration a few weeks early, they build up calcium and the extra nutrients that their bodies will need once they start laying eggs. Again, I've got to get a door made because I prefer for my girls to be able to forage as well as go inside to get some feed for a well-balanced diet. Eggs that are laid from hens that have access to natural food sources are higher in Vitamin E and beta carotenes, so they say. There's a lot of backlash from the scientific world about these "so-called" claims that all-natural is healthier. I've got to say that on paper, animals may perform better on special man-formulated diets, but I'm not trying to raise super-chickens here. I mean, look at Olympic athletes. Their fost and regimine is controlled to the very last bîte and minute of their day, of course they out perform the average human being. But the rest of us are enjoying pizza now and then and going about our daily lives according to our own whims.
So, my average chickens get an average diet and have an average day.
I think it just keeps them happier and happy hens lay more eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment